- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- ¾ cup cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
7 Minute Frosting
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 Tablespoon corn syrup
- 5 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl combine butter and sugar and beat. Add eggs and beat again. Add buttermilk and vanilla, and mix again. Add flour, cocoa, soda, and baking powder and mix until just combined.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and scoop 12 cookies onto it.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes and cool on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before removing.
- Fill the bottom half of a double boiler about half way with water and heat to a boil.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup, egg whites, and salt in the top pan of a double boiler and beat until just combined (about a 30 seconds to 1 minute).
- Place on top pan on top of the bottom double boiler filled with the boiling water, making sure that the water is not touching the bottom of the top double boiler.
- Beat on medium-high speed for 7 minutes while frosting cooks. Frosting should become thickened and have a glossy appearance. Allow frosting to cool.
- Spread frosting quite thick on a cooled cookie and then place another cookie on top.